POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu : Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu
From: KalleK
Date: 5 Nov 2000 11:59:59
Message: <3a05920f@news.povray.org>
Hi Bob!

> About using clipped_by.  Big mistake, if I understood you, because I think
the
> unioned difference is best to get a correct CSG.  Since clipping leaves
object
> open it's not very conducive to refraction (ior), imo.  At least not for
all
> things.
Yes. When I thought about finally improving my source I realized it's not
that easy. Exactly that problem with refraction...

> I'd just scale a copy of the object being used in the final union as the
> cutaway object a fraction larger or smaller (depending on the desired
result).
But I think that this can cause some unwanted results with complex objects
(like the thermometer-lathe). If you scale the letter "H" his new 'volume'
will not cover the old one. The result would be surfaces of the cutaway
object in the final union. Therefore I used a much bigger cylinder for the
cutaway object.

> The laced cloth is a nice touch.  You're own creation, or from a macro or
> include file someplace?
It's my own creation. Some loops, no macros. It should match with reality
and represent the real crochet work the thermometer is placed on in reality.
In fact this detail encouraged me to finally post the scene.

As far as the lathe bug is concerned - i got no answers. Shell I ask in
povray.general? I want to avoid these artefacts and don't know how.

cukk